Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

There are certain dates that will always stand out for one reason or another in my memory bank. Saturday the 27th of February will forever be one of those days that I will remember.

I woke up to the news that Chile had an earthquake. Since I have family in Chile I was trying to call my parents to see if our family was safe. I tried all morning and couldn't get a hold of them.

I was glued to the television watching as the numbers of casualties kept rising.

Around 11 a.m. I got a phone call from my mom. Immediately I could tell in her voice there was something she wanted to tell me.

I have a younger brother who was engaged to be married on May 14th. She proceeded to tell me that plans had changed and that they were getting married that evening.

Obviously I was full of questions and asked her to answer the most obvious of questions that I'm sure anyone who is reading this is wondering. She quickly told me that there was no pregnancy but that she needed my help.

By noon I was at my parents house helping plan a wedding. Since my sweet mother was in shock and a bit distraught I took it upon myself to be the wedding planner for the day. As my brothers say 'Bossy Bev" was in action--someone needed to or there would be nothing ready.

The living room was rearranged for a ceremony. The house was cleaned spotless. Costco became our best friend serving as a location to buy finger foods, drinks, flowers for the bouquet and any other last minute items needed. My brother Gianni made a wedding cake from scratch filled with the most delicious lemon cream. I helped the bride get ready as cousins arrived to help with the last minute occasion.

At 6 p.m. family was continuing to trickle in along with the Bishop. By 6:15 the ceremony was taking place and by 6:30 they were married.

I did not think a wedding could happen in 6 hours but apparently with family pulling together anything is possible.

It was truly a whirlwind event--one I would never like to repeat again because of the high stress level.

After the ceremony and eating some yummy food the entire Santamaria clan--except for the newlyweds--went to my twin brothers lacrosse game. It was the big game against their rival, BYU so we had to show our support.

I leaned over to my dad and said.

'Well dad what a day! Wedding. Check. Lacrosse game. Check. Check."

He chuckled in true Carlo form and said,

"I hope we don't do a repeat of this."

I assured him I wouldn't give him any surprises and he'd have plenty of time to prepare for my wedding.

Isn't life funny sometimes. I was so set on having the most relaxing Saturday. Last week was one hectic week and I was telling everyone that Saturday I'd be doing nothing.

Quite the opposite.

But it was a day filled with love for the important things that matter in life such as my sweet family and the gospel.

It was a memorable weekend all-together. Another earthquake for 2010(seems to be the running theme of '10), wedding, and the closing of the amazing Winter Olympic Games.

This weekend I really do plan on relaxing.

Mark my words.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I mean, really. Wow. Congrats to Mark! And, way to pull together a wedding, Santamarias! See ya Saturday, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my craziness! Did your mom throw a fit? I would have been hysterical.

    You didn't mention if your family in Chile was safe...I hope all is well. The whole situation makes me ill. What a blessing that Santiago has been prepared with strict building codes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the What? Man, I need to call you.

    BTW...ready for Brian Reagan next week?! You still have your ticket, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are Wonderwoman!!!

    And that cake is gorgeous--made all the more beautiful knowing it was prepared on the spot.

    Is your family safe?

    ReplyDelete