Monday, May 18, 2009

Back To My Roots


Over 40 years ago Carlo, my father left his beloved Chile to New Jersey to start a new life. Two years later, my madre left her beloved Chile to continue to date my padre in New Jersey. They dated for three more years(they dated for a total of 8 years, shoot me now, that is patience!) and were finally married. Jersey is where it all started for the Santamaria's. I was born in Livingston and then two years later my padre decided he couldn't handle raising his children in such a crowded place and within two weeks quit his job and packed us two kids and my mom in the car and we made the long trek to Orem, Utah. I give you this detailed history because New Jersey has always had a special place in my heart and always will. I leave to the Garden state on Wednesday to visit la familia. I am excited and a bit nervous to see my Nonna (Italian for Grandma and what we grandchildren have always called her). I will spare you all the history and details with my Nonna. Let's just say it has been a long and rocky relationship, but after three years of not speaking, my family and her have made peace and spoken. I love her, I do, which is why I am going to see her. Her health is failing, and I want to make sure I see her one more time. So to Jersey I go, back where it all started.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't realize you all started in NJ! Not knowing the circumstances makes it easy to say this, but it's wonderful you're making the effort to see your Nonna. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete