Monday, June 15, 2009

Greetings


I think we could all agree that this looks like an awkward moment of our former President Bush about to hug someone. Each country has their own way of greeting. Here in the USA people high five, they do the half hug with the pat on the back,(that's my favorite one to witness among men)there's full on hugging, and sometimes there's a kiss on the cheek. In different European countries there is the hug and two kisses on each cheek and even three kisses depending on which country you are in. In South America it is customary when greeting people to give a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I grew up doing this. If I walk into my parents house, I give my mom and dad a hug and a kiss. If there are family, friends, or strangers there, I do the same thing. It would be considered rude for me to not do this. I am so used to doing this that it is second nature to me. The other day I was meeting some new people out of the family circle and I realized something. I had to stop myself from giving them a hug and a kiss on the cheek. That's when it hit me. I think sometimes I am culturally confused! If next time I see you, I give you a hug and a kiss on the cheek, just go with the flow and please excuse the confusion.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, you read my mind. I have been planning a post related to this entitled "Bring Back The Besito." I love this post--I just may reference to it. And I LOVE this picture! It is HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we need to bring back the beso here in the states! It is so much better than a hand shake or half hug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Bring back the besito!!!! We don't do nearly enough of it! And I'm right with you. I grew up doing the same thing with all of our Poly family/friends. Needless to say, I was happy to see that they do a little more of that in good ol' NYC.

    ReplyDelete