Tuesday, November 15, 2011

waterproof mascara

I bought waterproof mascara a couple weeks ago by mistake. I don't like the stuff, because it takes forever to wash off and I'm too impatient.

Life is funny sometimes, the waterproof mascara came in handy.

It started with my darling dad. He went into the hospital for a pulmonary embolism, not a good thing. He was admitted on a Friday so they could monitor his blood levels. By Saturday he got to come home.

That Saturday I went to my parents place to see him. While there my mom got a phone call from the rest home that my Nonna {Italian for grandma and what we grand-kids have always called her} was not doing well and would perhaps not make it through the night.

When it rains it's always followed by a downpour, no doubt about that. My Nonna did make it through the night, in fact she made it till Wednesday morning when she passed away at the age of 93. Everyone in our family gathered around to wish her a sweet farewell into the next life. Everyone of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren flew or drove in for her. Tuesday night the last grandchild drove in from California to see her, I have a hunch she wasn't going to leave until she got to say goodbye to everyone.

She lived a great life, married my sweet Nonno who was an immigrant from Italy. Together they owned hotels, vineyards, grocery stores and a ranch in central Chile. They moved to the states in the 70's and then traveled between the states, Chile and Italy. She was the typical Latin women, opinionated and blunt. But inside of her tough exterior she was a loving and giving person who was constantly pinching my arm to sit up straight, lived to play a practical joke and made the best homemade ravioli's I have ever had.

Nonna, your memories I will always carry in my heart.

Your legend will live on.

Your posterity will continue strong.

Until we meet again.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
1. Nonna in her 20's, look at that outfit, love it!
2. My Nonna & Nonna & family, my dad's the baby.
3. My brother and nephew Odin, he belongs in a baby Gap ad...those cheeks!
4. The entire Santamaria clan.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry about your Nonna. She sounds like an amazing lady--one I would have loved to have met and be around and eaten her food. Wow, what an exotic and exciting life she led. And I love opinionated and blunt latin ladies!

    ...My sister and I made sure to go buy some waterproof mascara for my dad's funeral, since we never normally use it. Since I am an emotional zombie, I didn't even need it, but we were both cursing it by the end of the day, trying to get the damned stuff off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your cute Nonna, Bev. I love the pictures of her and your family- beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete